RU 

History

  • Kolomensky Zavod is one of successful enterprises symbolizing rapid development of railway transport in the Russian Empire in the second half of the XIX century.

    In summer 1863 railway line Moscow-Saratov extended to Kolomna. Enterprising and talented military engineer Amand Egorovitch Struwe won a contract for construction of a bridge across the Oka river and for this purpose built temporary workshops on the left bank of the Oka where the Moskva river flows into it. He took 10 dessiatinas (= approximately 2 ¾ acres) of land on lease from peasants of Bobrovo village and was granted a license “to produce different constructions, both of industrial and factory type”. This laid the foundation of the largest plant in Russia – Kolomensky Zavod.

  • Kolomensky Zavod was the first in Russia to start building bridges for railway and city transport. Before that Russia had bought their constructions abroad.

    Amand Struwe built the first temporary bridge across the Moskva river for Moscow-Kazan’ railway line. The construction of bridge across the Oka (1863-1864) was followed by the construction of all the bridges within the range from Kolomna to Voronezh and from Serpukhov to Kursk and Kiev. The bridge in Kiev spanning the Dnieper river constructed in 1868 to 1870 was considered by contemporaries to be the largest one in Europe. It was constructed using a new approach – using piers of “pneumatic system”. Its length exceeded 1 kilometer. In the 60-70-ies of the XIX century Kolomensky Zavod built Borodinsky, Krasnokholmsky, Moskvoretsky and Krymsky bridges on demand of the Moscow City Duma. Liteiny bridge spanning the Neva in Saint-Petersburg (built in 1879) is still considered to be the most grand and graceful construction.

  • Dvortsovy bridge in Saint-Petersburg (1915), a large engineering structure, was the last bridge built by Kolomensky Zavod. It consists of 5 spans the middle one of which is bascule type. Special attention was paid to its architecture and decoration.

  • Each mainline railroad being put into operation resulted in growth of demand for railway machinery. In 1865 Kolomna organized production of the first trucks for railways and later on of cars of different types. Preparation for construction of steam locomotives also started. Construction of locomotives at Kolomensky Zavod dates back to 1869 when the first freight steam locomotive left the plant. This was one of the first steam locomotives built in Russia.

    In pre-revolutionary period Kolomensky Zavod was one of the leading locomotive producers in Russia. During that period 139 steam locomotive types were engineered.

  • In 1878 the first river-going steamship “Kulebaky” was constructed followed by ships designed for various purposes.

  • In the 20-s of the XX century Kolomensky Zavod became one of the largest enterprises in Russia playing a great role in the development of the country railway transport and many other domestic industries. The plant branched out into making agricultural machinery, tractors, motor tram cars, snow removers, trucks and other products.

  • Kolomensky Zavod was one of the first companies in the world to bring production of new heat engine type - diesel engines - to commercial level. In 1903 the first one-cylinder vertical engine rated 18 hp was produced at the plant and some time later the plant became the largest producer of diesel engines in the country. In the years 1904 to 1905 engines with “Kolomensky Zavod” trademark came into use both at different plants and pipeline transport as well as at power stations.

  • Engineers from Kolomna found a way of using diesel engine as a propulsion plant on river service and sea-going ships. In 1907 the world’s first river-going diesel towboat “Kolomna Diesel” was constructed based on the project of Russian engineer and inventor Raimond Aleksandrovitch Koreivo. Thus the era of motor ship engineering started in Russia and Europe. The first supplies of diesel engines intended for the Navy took place. The plant products were awarded the highest awards at 6 international exhibitions and thus received world-wide recognition. Kolomensky Zavod became the Russian leading motor ship building enterprise.

  • Starting from the 1930-s alongside the production of steam locomotives and diesel engines the plant began production of electric and diesel locomotives which were completely new machinery for Russia. The first diesel locomotive rated 600 hp was constructed in 1930. This locomotive was equipped with electric drive and was intended for use as a shunting locomotive at large railway stations. In 1933 Kolomensky Zavod became the first to bring production of main-line diesel locomotives in Russia to commercial level.

  • In 1932 Kolomensky Zavod in cooperation with the plant “Dynamo” produced the first soviet freight electric locomotive VL19 (“Vladimir Lenin”) and in 1934 the USSR first passenger electric locomotive of PB series (“Political Bureau”).

  • On April, 15, 1939 Kolomensky Zavod was awarded the order of Lenin for achievements in creation and commercialization of new machinery.

  • The Great Patriotic war changed production type of Kolomensky Zavod. Orders targeted at the front needs came one after another. Workshops were reconstructed to fulfill the orders and looked like munitions workshops.

  • As the enemy approached Moscow the main part of the plant was evacuated to Kirov where within a short space of time production of military machinery - tanks, mortars “Katyusha”, self-propelled sets - was set up.

  • Those who stayed at Kolomensky Zavod during the war years carried out repair of military equipment. Production of various types of munitions was also set up, as well as of mobile cars for antiaircraft guns. Two armored trains were constructed. Besides, the plant fulfilled large orders of metallurgical mills, produced rams, equipment for blast-furnaces, ladle cars, mine winders, converters. To provide reconstruction works in the liberated territory diesel-hammers and spare parts for power stations were produced.

  • In mid-1943 the plant resumed production of steam and diesel locomotives. The plant repaired steam locomotives and diesel engines, developed projects of new designs for locomotives and engines which were embodied in metal later on in peaceful time.

  • On July, 11, 1945 Kolomensky Zavod was awarded the order of the Red Labor Banner for successful fulfillment of orders for production of ammunition and metallurgical equipment during the war years.

  • After the Great Patriotic war a need for light-weight, simple in design and fuel-efficient freight locomotive arose. In 1945 Kolomensky Zavod built such a steam locomotive named “Victory”. These locomotives were assigned “L” series in honor of the prominent Chief design engineer of Kolomensky Zavod Lev Sergeevitch Lebedyansky (1898-1968). Steam locomotives of “L” series were also mass-produced by Voroshilovgradsky and Bryansky plants. Rated at 2200 hp this steam locomotive developed speed up to 80 km/h and was more fuel efficient as compared to all the freight locomotives that existed at that time. Operation of locomotives of “L” series on Russian railways permitted to increase speed of trains and thus to increase railway traffic capacity.

  • In post-war years in addition to steam locomotives the plant produced diesel engines, tubings and fulfilled orders for ferrous metal industrial plants. The Program of the Navy Development assigned Kolomensky Zavod, as before, a task of creation and supply of internal combustion engines for various types of ships.

  • Volume of diesel locomotive production was growing fast but freight traffic could not cope with the increasing flow of cargo mainly because steam locomotives reached the limit of their potential. During 88 years of steam locomotive construction Kolomensky Zavod created about 200 types of steam locomotives and constructed 10420 steam locomotives for various applications.
    In 1956 the government made a decision to stop production of steam locomotive at Kolomensky Zavod and the plant switched over to production of diesel locomotives.

  • In 1956 development of 2-cycle diesel engine of original design interrupted by the Great Patriotic war was completed. This engine exceeded the best foreign counterparts of the same class in terms of weight and dimension parameters as well as in up-rating degree. This engine is the ancestor of a whole family of marine and locomotive engines (40Д, 6Д40, 14Д40, 11Д45 and others). Kolomensky Zavod constructed over 12000 diesel engines and diesel-generators of this family.

  • In 1956 a freight locomotive ТЭ3 made from drawings of Khar’kovsky plant named after Malyshev was outshopped from Kolomensky Zavod. And as early as 1958 the staff of the plant keeping on creating new types of locomotives engineered and constructed prototype single-section freight diesel locomotive ТЭ50 equipped with in-house engine Д45 rated 3000 hp.

  • Further development of locomotives at Kolomensky Zavod was only based on engineering and construction of new in-house types of diesel engines and diesel locomotives. In 1959 the plant built gas turbolocomotive G1 rated 3500 hp which was the first in the country. Work on creation of mobile power stations based on diesel engines was also carried out.

  • In 1959 Kolomensky Zavod was made the main enterprise engaged in development and production of passenger diesel locomotives. In 1960 passenger diesel locomotive TEP60 was built. This first domestic high-speed diesel locomotive embodied all the latest achievements in diesel locomotive engineering. New diesel locomotive equipped with diesel-generator 11D45 rated 3000 hp was intended for hauling passenger trains weighing 600 to 1000 tons at speed of 160 km/h.

  • In 1964 the first passenger gas turbolocomotive GP1 rated 3000 hp was built based on the underframe of diesel locomotive TEP60.

  • During the period from 1960 to 1968 a new family of marine diesel engines was created (types D42 and D43). Improved versions of these engines are still being produced.

  • Demand for diesel engines produced in Kolomna kept on growing. In the mid-60-s the management of Kolomensky Zavod made a decision to create a family of medium-speed 4-cycle diesel engines D49 based on a modular principle. The engines were intended for use in locomotives, ships, power stations, heavy-duty dump trucks and for other purposes. In the world and domestic diesel engine industry modular approach and standardization of parts were a great achievement for engines of this class. Nowadays modular approach is realized in new engine designs by many famous diesel engineering companies in the world.

  • On January, 22, 1971 Kolomensky Zavod was awarded the order of the October Revolution for great achievements in creation and commercialization of new highly fuel efficient diesel engines. A team of design engineers became the USSR prize winner for creation and commercialization of new highly fuel efficient diesel engines.

  • In the early 70-s one-section passenger diesel locomotive TEP70 rated 4000 hp was built. After the design of the locomotive had been improved serial production of these diesel locomotives started in 1988. Locomotive TEP70 complies with the world standards and is operated in Russia, countries of the Union of Independent States and Baltic countries. The plant has produced over 560 sections of diesel locomotive TEP70.

  • In 1975 to 1977 the plant built 2 prototype single-section passenger diesel locomotives TEP75 rated 6000 hp, and in 1988-1989 8-axle prototype diesel locomotives TEP80 with the same rating featuring unique design of 4-axle bogie were created. In 1993 diesel locomotive TEP80 established the world record in speed reaching 271 km/h.

  • During the economic crisis in Russia in the 1990-s development of new machinery at Kolomensky Zavod did not stop. In 1997 the plant made 2 prototype passenger electric locomotives (a. c.) EP200 rated 8000 kW with maximum design speed 250 km/h. They were the first domestic passenger high-speed electric locomotives.

  • In the late 90-s Kolomensky Zavod initiated a program of diesel engine replacement for the locomotive fleet of the Russian Ministry of Railways. Obsolete locomotive engines were to be replaced by more fuel efficient and reliable engines D49 from Kolomna. Installation of new engines extended operational life of locomotives by 15 to 20 years. Comparative tests of diesel engines by Kolomensky Zavod and the world leading companies Mak-Krupp and Caterpillar which took place in the late 1990-s confirmed high reliability, fuel efficiency and easy maintenance of diesel engines from Kolomna. The engines were tested in similar German diesel locomotives of type 232 operated in Germany. The tests resulted in an order from the German railways for D49 engines which were used for modernization of their locomotive fleet.

  • In 2000 PJSC Kolomensky Zavod brought production of mobile modular power stations to commercial level. The stations were intended for various applications. They are used as a source of autonomous power supply (basic or auxiliary power supply) for oil and gas production enterprises in remote regions of Russia.

  • In 2002 engineers of Kolomensky Zavod developed and constructed a passenger diesel locomotive TEP70BS of new generation rated 4000 hp providing power supply of the train cars. The basic design of locomotive TEP70BS served for creation of a family of standardized locomotives.

  • On December, 4, 2003 President Vladimir Vladimirovitch Putin paid a visit to PJSC “Kolomensky Zavod”. During his visit Vladimir Putin got acquainted with the plant history, its dynamic development for the previous years, its products and held a meeting on issues relating to development of transport engineering industry. In his speech the head of the state emphasized that one of the priorities of transport policy was to provide technical re-equipment of transport industry. He also emphasized achievements of Kolomensky Zavod and the important role of further enterprise successful activities in realizing transport policy in Russia.

  • In 2004 the plant made prototype 2-section freight diesel locomotive 2TE70 rated 6000 hp whose presentation took place on July, 14, 2004. This locomotive is the first Russian freight locomotive made of only domestic components. It was developed and built by Kolomensky Zavod within a short period of time.

  • Currently PJSC “Kolomensky Zavod” implements new advanced projects in the sphere of diesel engineering. Brand new emergency diesel power station has been made. This is completely automatic power plant intended for emergency power supply. Work on creation of power plants for the Navy has been also resumed.

  • The year 2005 was significant due to creation of a new passenger electric locomotive EP2К rated 4800 kW with design speed of 160 km/h.

  • The year 2006 saw the start of construction of passenger diesel locomotive TEP70U rated 3000 kW which was standardized with TEP70BS and 2TE70 diesel locomotives for main components. TEP70U was intended to replace diesel locomotive TEP70.

  • In 2006 the plant created diesel-generator 21-26DG-01 rated 2500 kW at 1000 rpm. This diesel-generator features electronic system of intermittent fuel injection and electronic system providing air bypass from compressor to turbine. This is the first time that such a system has been employed in Russia. Diesel-generator 21-26-01 was installed on the first Russian freight diesel locomotive 2TE25А “Vytyaz” along with asynchronous power transmission by Bryansky mechanical engineering plant.

  • In 2006 diesel engines D49 intended for use in locomotives got a certificate of conformance with standard EURO IIIA.

  • Kolomensky Zavod is implementing a number of projects on alternative fuels including commercialization of completely new type of products - gas motors intended for generating electric and heat power at power stations in basic, standby and emergency modes.
    Since 2011 gas motor has been operated at basic power station (JSC “Radugaenergo”) which supplies an inhabited locality with electric and heat power.
    Gas motor is a piston engine with spark ignition burning different types of gas: natural, oil-well, generator gas and biogas.
    Creation of gas motor is of great importance for satisfying domestic market demand for local sources of power supply rated 800-2000 kW, because now they are delivered from abroad.

  • In 2012 Kolomensky Zavod delivered a number of diesel-generator sets for standby power supply at power block N4 (being under construction) of Beloyarskaya nuclear power station (Zarechny town, the Sverdlovsk region): 2 diesel-generator sets DGU4000 rated 4000 kW and 3 diesel-generator sets DGU3200 rated 3200 kW. These are the first domestic diesel engines with total power over 1 MW delivered to Russian nuclear power stations. In engineering these diesel-generator sets experience obtained in creation of standby engines for nuclear power station Bushehr and for the Russian Navy ships was used.

  • Simultaneously with the improvement of serial engines Kolomensky Zavod works at creation of a new family of multi-purpose diesel engines D500 rated from 4 MW to 7 MW. The design of the new engine takes account of the consumer future requirements. The project is being implemented within the Federal Target Program “National Technological Base”in compliance with the subprogram “Creation and Organization of Production of Diesel Engines of New Generation and Their Components”in the years 2011-2015.